Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Je suis, tu es, il est, nous sommes...

The Economist magazine has a blog written by a writer using the pen name, "Charlemagne". I read it when I can, but not often enough. Charlemagne recently wrote this article about the decline of foreign language abilities in the UK. I especially like the comment in the article that "Learning a foreign language teaches you humility, empathy and respect for others. In Europe, it teaches you the ancient links that unite our squabbling continent."
Well said. I've studied languages my whole life. I've been fortunate to visit Europe many times for work as well as pleasure, but to my deep dismay, I've never had the opportunity to live there for an extended period of time. I've strongly encouraged my daughters that in addition to whatever else they take up in their life, a firm grasp of second language would be to their advantage and betterment. I generally an open minded person, but I cannot understand why some people have no interest in learning more about life in other countries. This isn't just about language studies - it's about really trying to be more aware of the cultural influences that affect the way others see us, and we see them. Studies of language (if left unfettered) will naturally lead to study of history, literature, art and ultimately a better understanding of what makes us tick.

No comments: