Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Some early thoughts on G+…

I’ve been using Google Plus since very early July after receiving one of the earlier invitations to try it out (Thanks Ray !). After using it for the past few weeks, I have a few observations about what may be the future adoption of this site. I’m not talking about the UI, or the technical aspects, or even about Circles and privacy considerations. Rather what I’m noticing is the (albeit very early) way it’s being used by those I’ve observed online and what I foresee happening in the longer term.

Most of my online acquaintances are heavily invested in Facebook and to a lesser extent, Xing. I even have two friends who still use MySpace. Although I have a few dozen connections and some photos on FB, I was never that much invested in it and I often went days without even taking a glance in its direction.

Even though the pundits are talking about the rapid growth of Google Plus (which is certainly true), what I’m not seeing is the any indication that people are abandoning Facebook in favor of G+. Let’s face it, that’s what Google wants and that’s what they’re going after. They want this to be a zero-sum game.

I happen to like the clean UI and better (to me) privacy settings at G+. I like the fact that it’s not all junked up with games and ads although I’m sure they’re coming. (I do miss being able to poke someone, though – seriously). I also miss the ability to do a true PM, but I can certainly get by with the ‘workaround’ presented (post to one contact only, and disable ‘reshare’).

Not surprisingly, many of users I’ve seen on G+ tend to be professional marketers, SEO types, ‘social media’ groupies, or those who like to be early adopters. What I have yet to see is the adoption of G+ by the high school, college students and twenty somethings who make up so much of the current traffic on FB. It’s going to take a huge catalyst – something, whatever – to get them to do more than take a peek at G+ and actually begin using it.

Remember, I’m not a marketer or SEO guy and my comments here are worth exactly what you’ve paid for them, but what I foresee is a dual social-media world in which both FB and G+ are able to coexist (in spite of Google’s best efforts). I doubt that Gens X and Y will give up Facebook in favor of G+, but what I see is their gradual adoption of G+ as a kind of steppingstone to a more professional (but still fun) social media outlet. Kind of a halfway house between Facebook and LinkedIn. Use of G+ gives everyone a chance to rethink their ‘friends’ list and start off again perhaps a bit more carefully and with more reflection than they may have used with Facebook, given the often willy-nilly, motley collection of ‘friends’ that one really doesn’t know in the least.

Both of my daughters have signed on to G+. One is 18 and the other is 21. They’re both prime candidates for adoption and the perfect target audience that Google Inc. is seeking for this new platform. Neither however, has posted anything even once as of this writing. That’s what I’m waiting to see.

1 comment:

lshauler said...

1) You still have the option to poke someone on Facebook.
2) I definitely agree with you on the whole "stepping stone" theory. G+ allows the younger generation an opportunity to begin the process of stepping between the social media and the social networking world.
3) The only problem with that is that although G+ may be trying to target the younger audience, they're not getting them due to the lack of entertaining features on the site. It's too bare. It offers some appealing features, such as the circles, but not enough to capture and keep the interest of the younger generation, such as myself.
4) I'll post something now. If you insist.