Thursday, December 11, 2008

Chance to restore US reputation abroad ?

I've become a huge fan of Fareed Zakaria over the past couple of years. Every time I read his essays, or see him on television, I become more impressed with his grasp of politics and world affairs. I look at all the places I've seen or read him recently and I just can't imagine how anyone has the time to do all that he does.

Take, for example, this snippet from a recent column in Newsweek:

"I will not exaggerate the importance of a single personality, but Obama has become a global symbol like none I can recall in my lifetime...." "Were his administration to demonstrate in its day-to-day conduct a genuine understanding of other countries' perspectives and an empathy for the aspirations of people around the world, it could change America's reputation in lasting ways.
This is a rare moment in history. A more responsive America, better attuned to the rest of the world, could help create a new set of ideas and institutions—an architecture of peace for the 21st century that would bring stability, prosperity and dignity to the lives of billions of people."
Fareed Zakaria, Newsweek, 2008.11.29

I couldn't have said it better myself.

No comments: